Tuesday, March 20, 2007

olympia and delphi

Last week we had one day of classes, and then took to the road in cushy green buses bound for Olympia and Delphi. The trip was kind of like summer camp, in ways good and bad.

delphi from the hotel

It was great to see the archaeological sites with professors, but the sightseers are arriving in force in Greece as the weather warms and Easter approaches, and between them and the insulating pod of my fellow students it was hard to feel like I was really seeing sometimes. I think one of my favorite things might have been the small mountain towns we stopped in along the way.

emily1

Our first big stop was Olympia, home of the ancient games and a really important religious sancuary. It was pretty and peaceful but didn't grab me somehow compared with the other places we went. We did, however, restage footraces in the ancient stadium, which was pretty hilarious.

guysrace

In traditional fashion, the women raced separately from the men, but it looked like the women were faster. One of our professors offered a cash reward to the winner, in leiu of the customary olive oil, parade, and free food for life from the government. Being an Olympic champion was a pretty good deal back in the day.

girlsrace

The second leg of the trip, Delphi, was perhaps one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen in my life.

delphi

When we first got there we went to the lower site at dusk, soon to be escorted out by the ancient cat-loving groundskeeper. Nonetheless, it was the perfect time of day to be there, perfect slanting light.

delphi onsite

The temple of Athena was probably my favorite building, which is a little odd given that Delphi is the oracular sanctuary of Apollo. But it just fit the landscape so well, and I like how it was sort of tucked into the corner of the site.

temple of athena

Our marathon tour of the upper site the next day was worthwhile but a little harrowing - it was st. patrick's day, and the steep slopes were packed with fidgety children, pushy old women, and drunk people of all ages. It felt like half tour, half obstacle course. In the end, it was good to get back to Stassinou and eat an orange out on the balcony, listening to the relative calm of the Sunday street below.

This weekend I'm taking a short field trip with my history class, but otherwise I need to stay in Athens and get some work done....because NATASHA IS COMING TO TOWN NEXT WEEK!!!! I am beside myself with excitement. But before that, I need to give a class presentation at the Acropolis monday morning for archaeology class. That will certainly be ten minutes to remember.

That's about all the news that's fit to print - over and out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Em! Love the allusion to the New York Times at the end (can you tell I'm taking an American news media course?)! Ha! And those pictures of the foot races are hysterical, really captured the feel (how much was that "cash prize," if I may ask?). Of course, the pictures of the scenery are always breathtaking. Well, I'm off to finish my three papers (one of which you contributed to), and now feel complete after reading your blog and knowing what it is you're up to!
Love,
Cousin Liz :)

meredith said...

That photo of the temple of Athena blew my mind - god, how gorgeous! I love seeing your world! (that is, if I can't actually see YOU...)
<3<3<3
merry

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding us that there is nothing in this world finer than a parade on a warm sunny day in celebration of some-thing hard won and of greaat value. The music is important. What a good idea to pay tribute to long-ago athletes with impromptu contests of your own!

Granddad and Grannie