Tuesday, April 24, 2007

fira close

I know it's been a while, but it surprised me to look at this page and realize it's been over a month. I came back from an amazing spring break to find winter fully flown from this part of the Meditteranean, and in these last few weeks it's hard to find spare time amidst classes and travel. When I do, the last place I am to be usually to be found is in this computer lab, in the company of humming machines and slate grey formica, the world outside alive. But with one long weekend of rambling behind me and another one ahead, these few days in the city are all about the homework, bright sun be damned.

changing guard

Prague, Stassinou's most recent destination and my first trip outside of Greece, was incredible. We had the good luck to stay with friends there, and it made all the difference in the world to have quality people who knew their way around by our side, not to mention a beautiful apartment to crash in at the end of the night.

lennon wall

We wandered, celebrated 4/20, went out in paddleboats, and ate at amazing vegetarian restaurants, among other things. My favorite place was probably the Lennon Wall, a free form peace monument of sorts that helped inspire the Velvet Revolution.

lennon wall

This weekend, at the last minute, I am headed out to Cairo to see that most fabulous specimen of style and humanity, the one and only Ian Renner. I had looked into it earlier in the semester but was unable to find a flight, so I was basically beside myself when one mysteriously appeared on expedia a few days ago. It'll be an adventure, for sure.

After that, it's pretty much a mad dash to the end. It's hard to believe there's less than a month. I have mixed feelings about this, and no time to go into them now. But whatever comes next, I will be home soon.

No comments: